Panic attack as I realise March is upon us tomorrow!
I have more to say about lime and potatoes, but the time for pontificating is not now. Its time for action! Here's what I've been up to today.
Liming the Brassica patch:
You will notice that I settled for a mug to measure out the lime, having found it holds just under half a pound of flour, in our kitchen before I left for the plot.
Preparing a bed for the onions and broad beans in the 'Other' zone.
The pallet with the wire netting covering it is a device I have cobbled together from materials I had to hand. In previous years I have planted onion sets only to discover that they have been uprooted. I have three theories as to how this could happen.
1. They are attractive to birds who can't resist giving them a tug
2. Mice or voles.
3. The ground freezes or hardens and root growth forces the set upwards rather than the roots down.
No 1 is my best guess, but my contraption should solve 1 and 2 so we will see if it's really three. Another help with No.2 is the visitor I had while I was working: