Sunday 4 July 2010

It's raining - Yipee!


I've already been soaked this morning (while collecting bricks for my new raised beds) so I've had to accept defeat and stay at home! The rain is doing the gardening for me. But what to do? It's an opportunity to write a book review that I have had in mind for some weeks, since my birthday washed up this self selected present. (Somehow during the growing season it doesn't seem right go on about winter activities like reading, but I've been itching to post this entry.)

I have from time to time scouted around for more information on seed varieties and histories of imported plants (like potatoes and tomatoes) and found it hard to come by. For the former seed catalogues have been the only real source (although some books like How it All Began In the Garden have some tit bits). For the latter internet articles can be found (Anna Pavorda's book "The Naming of Names" is a noteworthy introduction to the general topic.)

I've noticed that seed catalogues offer the old trusty varieties at a considerable discount to the rest. Either they are more popular or else they are "out of copyright" I reckoned. But how old are they? Well Christopher Stocks has applied a bit of critical research to the history of each fruit and vegetable and goes one to detail the first known reference to each of these trusty types and many more. All in one neat little volume. I have grown quite a few of these oblivious to their pedigree. How different it feels sowing a row of seed when you are fully aware of who developed it and who it is named after, and where and when. Webb's Wonder, Glaskin's Perpetual, Cox's Orange Pippin, all have a new dimension when you know a bit about Webb, Glaskin and Cox, and their role in a bygone age of fruit and vegetable fanatacism. I feel the author has done me personally a great service for carrying out this research and publishing it and I wholeheartedly recomment the book to anyone interested in growing fruit and veg. (It's now in paperback at £8.99 ).

ps Don't be put off by the title as, with only a few exceptions necessary to explain the pedigree of current varities, by intention all varieties listed can be obtained in 2010.

10 comments:

  1. The book sounds fascinating, i like this sort of thing. I wonder how many of the seeds described in the book are also types grown through history over here, but known by a different name.
    I found that i can have it for my Kindle for $10. So its on my list :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IceB. Yes there are numerous cases of the same variety being sold under different names - and the occasional mid-Atlantic renaming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not rained here after looking as though it may - we have had to run up and down with watering cans again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the wind has blown those rain clouds away today, it's very blustery here. The book sounds fascinating, I will look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Mal, that's now on my shopping list. I've had the good luck to renovate the orchard here, and really enjoyed the research. I think the reason old varieties are cheaper is because they're not F1's, which is better for the home Gardener as F1 varieties all mature at once. My old favourites are Gardener's Delight toms, Little Gem lettuce and Kelvedon Wonder peas. Have tried others but these suit me best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. S&M It's beginning to sound like "Ice Cold in Alex". I'd gladly share some of our rain, hopefully without strong winds! My "greenhouse" plastic has been ripped to shreds and my tomatoes have taken a severe beating as a result. - I might post on it if I get over the experience.

    Jo, Sounds like you've got it already.

    Izzy, I swear by Little Gem but also have some open varites like Salad Bowl.

    Here's the Kelvedon Wonder entry: This prolific dwarf marrowfat variety was most probably introduced in 1925 by Hurst & Son, wholesale seedsmen, whose office was at Hounsditch in the city of London but who owned trial grounds in the village of Feering, just outside Kelvedon in Essex. The Sherwoods, who owned the company, lived at Prested Hall nearby, and hosted staff cricket matches on the lawn; in 1895 they defeated a team from Sutton's Seeds. The hall was requisitioned by the Army during the Second World War, but today it is a hotel.
    Kelvedon Wonder's small size combined with high productivity made it ideal for smaller gardens, and it remains a popular homegrowing variety, winning an Award of Garden Merit from the RHS in 1993.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Mal I'll definitely look this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE the sound of this book...I once commented to someone how the weeds always grow so much better than the veg and they said to me it was because most of the seeds we buy aren't native to this country like the weeds are...so to be able to buy a book which tells me the traditional seeds will give me a chance to see if they can grow as well as the weeds...thanks for blogging about it...I'm so glad it rained for you...now please send some of that rain my way!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Mal,Sorry to hear about your toms hope they and you have now recovered.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you! I've been looking for a good gardening book to read this summer. I don't feel a summer is complete if I don't read something new on the growing front. I'm stocked up with medieval history, social history and natural history, but that's a bit lopsided.

    ReplyDelete