Monday 21 March 2011

Alittlement

I've been blogging away through winter - talking about growing things and planning to grow things and marshalling my arguments about the unfair rent rises and also snapping things around about that cheer me up. I'm really please with my new parterre, although it took a while to build. It's been fun.

BUT

Right now I am a wondering why the blog has the word 'allotment' in the title.  So this weekend I got in my first three hours work of the new season on site.

I planted half a dozen jerusalem artechoke

sowed my first row of parsnips

buried some broad beans

and even planted a row of spuds (Swift + Red Duke of York) A tinsy bit optimistic perhaps.


There - That feels better. At least when I'm clearing the rest of the site, and building those fences I never got round to  I have something growing!

Then I dug two trenches where my runner beans are going to go and filled them with the leftovers from the brassica patch and compost and filled them in

Ouch - Thats probably enough for now.



Artichokes


It all starts here!
Brassica waste - roots not included


8 comments:

  1. Well it looks like your off to a good start!! Before you know it...it will be allotment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I spent a day clearing up at the weekend, and was amazed to find a few things still growing. I have rocket, chives and onions! Not a lot I can do with them.

    Isn't it a tad early for parsnips?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, you have been busy. I pottered at the weekend but didn't get much achieved. Now you have motivated me to get out there tomorrow (weather permitting).

    ReplyDelete
  4. We actually made a start on MOnday too - at last!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when I can first get back into the allotment...but yes there is always that serious 'ouch' at the beginning of the year..lol.

    As for the title of the blog...don't worry about it...we come in the first place because it says allotment in the title but it is always nice to get to know the owner a little better!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And so it begins! For a newbie like me it is really reassuring to see other experienced plotters only just starting the serious stuff. It helps combat the constant sense of Being Behind.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Mal, that gave me such a giggle, when you said you were wondering why your blog had allotment in the title and I looked up and envisaged Mal's I just burst out laughing. Fabulous... I'd read "Mal's" any day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Mal, that gave me such a giggle, when you said you were wondering why your blog had allotment in the title and I looked up and envisaged Mal's I just burst out laughing. Fabulous... I'd read "Mal's" any day!

    ReplyDelete